So You Don’t Have to Move Home with Your Parents (at least for very long!)
Once upon a time…. I was a soon-to-be college graduate just like you. I had a degree in business (my Dad was a banker and said I should have a business degree, and since he was paying most of my tuition, who was I to disagree?). On campus, I’d worked as a tour guide and at the student-run credit union. I had summer jobs making pizza, working at a local college, and an internship at a consulting company in Boston (thanks to some great networking connections – more on that later!).
As graduation approached, I really had NO IDEA what I wanted to do. I was scared. I was overwhelmed, I was frustrated there was no easy-to-follow process.
I didn’t want to move back home (at least for very long). I wanted to do something that was important, something that made a difference, and I also wanted to make enough money to buy a car, do things with my friends, travel, not be a student anymore.
I thought I was the ONLY ONE who didn’t know what I wanted to do after graduation, or how to get there! I had friends who were accountants and engineers. Some were going on to graduate school. Everyone seemed to have a good plan but me.
I landed an entry-level HR job at a technology company through my campus career center just a few days before graduation. I realized that LOTS of people were struggling with what they wanted to do at graduation. I wasn’t alone, and neither are you!
After several job and industry changes from corporate college recruiting to university career services, I’ve guided 1000s of students and recent college grads to their first professional job.
And now it’s your turn!
Introducing Land a Job Lab
Are you not sure what you want to do with your degree? Or, do you have an ideal job target but not sure how to get there, or your strategy has been unsuccessful so far?
This fast-paced program enables soon-to-be and recent college graduates to move from college student to happily employed young professional through a step-by-step easy-to-implement process for building confidence by creating an amazing resume and LinkedIn profile, growing and nurturing your professional network, identifying and interviewing with your dream companies, and ultimately landing an enviable professional job (so you don’t have to live at home with your parents anymore).
- Module 1: Create a first-class resume.
- Module 2: Networking & Informational Interviewing
- Module 3: Identify your Ideal Job/Company
- Module 4: Prepping for your Interviews
- Module 5: How to Leverage LinkedIn for Your Career Success
This program is for you if...
- You're graduating this spring or summer/fall 2019 (or within the last year and haven't landed your first professional job)
- You’ve just graduated from college (congratulations!) and you don’t have a professional job yet.
- You think you might have an idea of what you want to do, but you’re not really sure.
- You really have no idea what you want to do and are wishing you’d taken more time to think about that before graduation.*
- You were too busy to visit your campus career center before you graduated and you could really use some guidance and inspiration to get you on track.
- You’ve applied to several jobs online but you never hear back.
- You’ve been on several interviews, but never get the job offer.
- You are ready to boost to your confidence to believe you really CAN get the job you want and deserve.
- You dread the question “Now that you’ve graduated, what are you going to do?”
- You’re spending hours online searching for and applying to jobs and you’re not getting out to talk with people to grow your network.
- You really don’t want to live at home forever, and would love to have a steady source of income in a job you love.
In this program, you will:
- Perfect your resume for the kind of job you’re interested in getting* (not where you’ve been)
- Practice writing your cover letters and outreach letters to prospective members of your network
- Develop the skills you need to feel confident building and nurturing your network
- Realize that your network is really bigger than you think!
- Learn how to effectively attend a job fair or networking event
- Identify the best type of company and work environment for you
- Identify the best job search strategies for you
- Develop and practice your answers to interview questions most employers ask
- Create an effective LinkedIn profile
- Develop a plan for networking and information gathering so you’re ready for your job search AND land a job you love!
- Feel confident with sharing your experiences and wishes for a new job when someone asks "Now that you've graduated, what's next?"
Contact Kim Bilawchuk with questions or to register
In this program I’ll guide you through the following topics:
Module 1: Create a first-class resume.
Did you know…. potential employers only look at your resume for 3-5 seconds the first time they see it??
What skills, experiences, projects, volunteer opportunities, jobs (paid and unpaid), and personal traits and characteristics do you want to make sure they see? Is there information that’s cluttering up your resume? Is it more than one page?
This module will help you create and perfect your resume. You’ll understand the importance of each section, in what order they should be listed, and what NOT to include.
In this module, you’ll:
- Create a resume that highlights exactly what you’re good at and what you want to share with potential employers.
- Format your resume so it’s easy for employers to want to interview you
- Learn how to modify your resume for different types of jobs
What you’ll get:
- “10 Tips to a Great Resume” Checklist to make your resume stand out from the crowd (in a good way!)
- Two sample resumes of recent grads to use as a model for your own.
Module 2: Networking & Informational Interviewing
Did you know that more than 75% of jobs are NEVER advertised?! If you’re spending 100% of your time and energy looking for jobs on line, you’re missing a HUGE number of jobs that may be perfect for YOU.
In this module you’ll learn:
- What is Networking?
- Why networking NEEDS to be part of your job search strategy now
- What steps you can take TODAY to start building and nurturing your network
- How to prepare for a networking event
- How to create your self-introduction.
What you’ll get:
- “Who’s in My Network” Template
- “My Self-Introduction” Template
Module 3: Identify your Ideal Job/Company
Do you have any idea what your ideal job/company might be? Big company or small? Private or public? Local, national, international? Rotational program? City or rural? Requires travel?
Now that you’ve done some assessment, and decided how to format your resume, it’s time to start thinking about what to do with this information so you can get a job.
In this module, you’ll:
- Identify companies that match your values and ideal environment so you can start to make connections and apply
- Learn what to look for in evaluating a company’s culture
- Create a vision of your ideal job so you know when you find it (or not!)
What you’ll get:
- Values Assessment Exercise
- Ideal Work Environment Exercise
Module 4: Prepping for your Interviews
Maybe you’ve been on a few (or a lot) of interviews, but you’re not sure how to get ready for them, how to dress, what questions you should be asking. In this module, you’ll get all the tips you need to nail every interview, even if the interviewer isn’t asking very good questions. You can’t get a job without an interview, so you need to be prepared!
In this module, you’ll:
- Learn the types of interview questions and how to best answer them
- Select and practice the best examples from your experiences (paid, volunteer, coursework, community activities) to help you highlight key skills for employers so they want to hire YOU
- Identify how to dress for success at any type of company so you’re not over- or under-dressed.
- Get tips for acing your telephone or Skype interview since so many companies use these to prescreen you before inviting you to their office
What you’ll get:
- Template for creating your best interview answers
- Dress for Success Checklist
- Sample Thank You letters for after your interview
Module 5: How to Leverage LinkedIn for Your Career Success
OK, so you have a LinkedIn profile, or maybe you know you need one but haven’t created one yet, you’ve made some connections, but you don’t really know what else you should be doing to find a job.
In this module, you’ll learn:
- WHY you should have a LinkedIn profile
- 10 quick updates to improve your LinkedIn profile
- How to make connections with people you know and those you don't
- Why you should join 50 groups today
- How to use LinkedIn for your job search
What you’ll get:
- LinkedIn Tip Sheet for making quick updates most people overlook
- “Summary Writing Template” – what to include and how.
- List of LinkedIn Groups You Need to Join NOW!
How this works
- Join me for live calls at 11:00 am Eastern time, reviewing each topic:
- Friday April 5: Creating a First-Class Resume
- Friday April 12: Networking and Informational Interviewing
- Friday April 19: Bonus Q&A
- Friday April 26: Identify Ideal Job/Company
- Friday May 3: Interview Preparation
- Friday May 10: Leverage LinkedIn for your Career Success
- All calls will be recorded.
- Pre-recorded content for each module available on registration to review at your own pace, on your own schedule.
- Your investment is just $597.
Add on: Clarity & Connection
What are you going to do next?
I’m sure you know some people who’ve always known exactly what they want to be, and they’re doing it – an accountant, an engineer, a musician – lucky them! But many of us have NO IDEA how to combine our skills and interests into a job that will be fun to go to every day (and get paid what we’re worth).
In just a couple hours of your time, you will gain direction and clarity for possible jobs, industries, and career paths you might consider exploring as you begin (or continue) your job search. I’ll help you identify things you’re good at and things you like to do. After all, who wants to get a job that requires skills you don’t like to use?!
This process will help you boost your confidence in knowing what you’re looking for (and why) so that you can practice your self-introduction for potential employers and networking connections, build a great resume and LinkedIn profile, and more easily prepare for job interviews.
Using SkillScan™, an online, self-directed skills assessment tool, you'll identify your transferable skills and interests. You'll also evaluate your ideal work environment, your values, and your personal traits.
Imagine how much easier it would be to search for a job if you had a clear vision of what skills and interests you’d like to use, what kind of environment you’d like to work in, and knowing you had a strong resume and LinkedIn profile to support that? Let’s get started!
Regularly the investment for the Clarity & Connection Program is $1497, but if you bundle it with the Land A Job Lab, you'll get both for just $997! This package includes two 45-minute sessions to review your assessment results.
Add on: Private 1-1 Coaching Bundle
Love how all this sounds, but looking for a but more 1-1 attention and the opportunity to work with Kim privately to discuss your own personal situation?
With this bundle you'll add two (2) 45-minute private coaching sessions with Kim, to be scheduled during or at the completion of the Land A Job Lab to review any of the topics we've covered in more detail as they relate to you.
For example, we could:
- review/create your resume
- practice your interview answers
- review your LinkedIn profile
- further explore the type of company, culture, industry you'd be a best fit
- explore how to build and nurture your network
I NEVER offer my private coaching in such small increments, and I'm excited to offer this for the first time as part of this program. This special offer when bundled with the Land A Job Lab is just $997.
Land A Job Registration
I’m so excited to help you land your first professional job! I know that with the information I share in this program and your unique skills, interests, and values, you will find a job! This is your time. Let’s get started!
Questions? Feel free to send me email at email@example.com anytime.